Friday, July 11, 2014

The Mecca of Nintendo Fans

Last week, my family and I went to the Big Apple to visit my sister. Of course, we went to the Statue of Liberty, Times Square, the Empire State Building, all that New York stuff. But there's one place down Rockefeller that we had to visit before I left. I finally made the holy pilgrimage to the Mecca of Nintendo fans...

NINTENDO WORLD!
 
Be still my beating heart.
Walking in the store, we were greeted by the security guard and a tower of Mario plushies with more Toads than the Mushroom Kingdom. For a small store in respect to other New York stores, there was quite a bit to take in. To the right was a real-life Mario Kart to promote Mario Kart 8. You might recognize it from events like this year's South by Southwest (SXSW). Unfortunately, you couldn't sit in it. We took a look at the shirts, toys, and 3DS demos before following the racetrack upstairs.

Unbeknownst to my brother, that racetrack would lead him to riches greater than El Dorado. As a collector of video game plushies, he naturally spazzed seeing all the Pokémon toys. While he bumped into people grabbing everything he could hold, I made my way to the museum in the corner of the store. 


Consoles, games, and memorabilia spanning generations of gaming were all on display. A DS signed by Carried Underwood when she promoted Nintendogs, a Luma from Burger King, the Master Sword and Hyrulian Shield Miyamoto held promoting Skyward Sword, a damaged Gameboy from the Gulf War that still works, and so much more. It was surprising they didn't charged admission.

  
Going to Nintendo World, I felt inspired. It's an odd thing to say about a video game store, but Nintendo World's atmosphere was unlike any I've experienced. When a young family went up to the museum display, the parents gushed over the NES they played with as kids and shared a good laugh explaining how they made games work by blowing the cartridge. A young kid was having the time of his life driving as Luigi in Mario Kart 8 despite getting 5th. I even had a chance to swap stories with the employees and reminisce about the good times we had playing Zelda. Nintendo World is sort of like Disney without the rides and expensive cotton candy. It's a magical hub where people from all other gather, united by their love for Nintendo.


My family created our own memories playing Shovel Knight (which I will be streaming on Twitch in the near future so stay tuned). We took turns playing, cheering each other on as we repeatedly fell to our death. We had so much fun we revisited Nintendo World...twice. There was nothing greater than sharing the joy of gaming, and I know I will always cherish my visit to Nintendo World. It helped remind me why I fell in love with games in the first place. The N64 promotional poster said it best, it's all about fun. 

No comments:

Post a Comment